Message from the President
Dear colleagues and friends
My first year as President of the Renal Care Society of South Africa (RCSSA) has been a challenging but rewarding one, with trying to balance work, family and other commitments with the work of the Society. I am, therefore, extremely grateful to have the support of a hardworking Executive Committee (EXCO). It truly is an honor and privilege to have the opportunity to serve the members of this prestigious Society and the renal community at large.
While our country continues to face many challenges, it does present the healthcare sector with an opportunity for positive change and innovation. With this in mind, the Society is constantly seeking to engage with role players in order to play a more positive and constructive role.
Below are some of the activities of the Society since our 2022 AGM:
- The Society co-hosted a very successful Renal Congress in Durban. We wish to thank the LOC for their hard work. The next Congress will be in Gauteng in 2024.
- We submitted valuable input to the Department of Health regarding the dialysis regulations and standards which we are hopeful will be implemented in the not too distant future.
- We have initiated a partnership with colleagues in Mauritius who are seeking to establish a Society similar to ours. We are continually seeking to engage with, and build relationships with other African countries.
- We are in the process of implementing a bursary scheme for our members.
- We are in the process of developing a brand new, interactive and user-friendly website. Members will be informed when it’s done. Our social media pages has been updated. We encourage our members to engage with us on Facebook and Instagram.
- We hosted our inaugural World Kidney Day kidney awareness walk on Saturday 11 March 2023 in collaboration with Run Walk for Life. The event was held at Megawatt Park, Johannesburg, attracting 200 participants. Funds raised will be used towards bursaries for health professionals.
- The RCSSA hosted kidney awareness and screening day events in Cape Town and Durban during March 2023 in support of World Kidney Day. This years’ theme was “Kidney Health for All”.
As we look forward to celebrating the Societies’ 50th anniversary in 2025, I want to honor the Presidents and EXCO members who have gone before.
I want to thank all renal healthcare practitioners and other role players for your dedication and hard work in delivering quality renal care to our patients in spite of numerous challenges faced by the healthcare sector.
The RCSSA value the input and ideas of our members. We encourage you to share your thoughts and ideas for our Society. We Care, We Treat, We Teach.
Jonathan D Maree
President Renal Care Society of South Africa
Established in May 1975, the Renal Care Society of South Africa (RCCSA), operates under a constitution and serves its members through a national Executive Committee.
Originally consisting of only 9 members, the Society has a growing membership, consisting of registered nurses, clinical technologists and other health care professionals with
varying experience and expertise.
Through its varied activities the Society has made valuable contributions to renal health care in South Africa.
The mission of RCSSA is to advance the professional development of members practicing in nephrology, transplantation and related therapies, and to promote the highest
standards of patient care.
- promote and develop education in renal care;
- initiate, improve and enhance through its membership, high standards of perfection, efficiency and cooperation between all personnel involved in renal care;
- encourage research relating to renal care and its related subjects and to collect and disseminate technical, nursing and medical information and knowledge;
- develop a close relationship between individuals members of the Society;
- hold at least one congress and one symposium every two years;
- obtain funds to assist and enhance education nationally and internationally;
- provide the public with information regarding the prevention of renal diseases.
The Renal Care Society of South Africa – Constitution
At the Renal Care Society of South Africa (RCSSA), we genuinely care about the well-being of individuals affected by renal diseases.
Our dedicated team of professionals is committed to providing the highest standards of patient care. With a focus on nephrology, transplantation, and related therapies, we strive to make a positive impact on the lives of patients and their families.
Our compassionate approach ensures that each individual receives personalized care and support throughout their journey. We understand the challenges and complexities that come with renal diseases, and we are here to offer a helping hand, a listening ear, and the expertise needed to navigate the path towards improved health.
At RCSSA, we are dedicated to advancing the field of renal care through innovative treatment methods and continuous professional development.
Our aim is to promote excellence in patient care by staying at the forefront of medical advancements and adopting the latest techniques and therapies.
Our team of highly skilled and experienced professionals utilizes state-of-the-art technology and evidence-based practices to provide comprehensive treatment for renal diseases. From diagnosis to management, we offer a range of services including dialysis, transplantation, and other specialized therapies. Our commitment to continuous improvement ensures that patients receive the best possible care, tailored to their unique needs.
Education is a cornerstone of our mission at RCSSA. We believe in the power of knowledge to transform lives and improve patient outcomes.
Through our educational initiatives, we aim to promote and develop expertise in renal care, nurturing a community of professionals who are passionate about advancing the field.
Our society facilitates the sharing of knowledge and technical expertise among our members. We encourage collaboration, research, and the dissemination of information related to renal care. By organizing congresses, symposiums, and other educational events, we provide a platform for networking, learning, and the exchange of ideas. Furthermore, we actively engage in public awareness campaigns to educate the community about the prevention of renal diseases.